Tab Buttons Across The Blog

07 April 2011

Should I check in luggage?

My brother recently booked a 4D3N to Hong Kong on a budget airline and asked me “Jie, should I pay $15 to check in my luggage?” My answer was a definite no-no. $15 is a tiny sum, but the inconvenience of losing your luggage is way more costly.

I had my luggage waylaid and delayed so many times, I almost feel that my luggage has more frequent flyer miles than I do! These days, I try my best not to check in any luggage when I travel.

It’s just way too troublesome dealing with airline staff. I usually lose my luggage when flying into the US because I am unable to make my connecting flight. When landing in the US, you are required to clear immigration at your first port of entry before catching your connection flight to your destination city.

However, clearing the US immigration is a nightmare. The line for non-residents is snaking and slow. US immigration officers usually give priority to processing their own citizens before attending to non-residents. In addition, increased security measures have made clearing immigration a much draggy process. What this means is that my connecting flight would have departed while I was still waiting to clear immigration. The airline will schedule you to depart on the next available flight but this is where your luggage goes missing - because you are now travelling on a different flight, your luggage tags may not be properly updated and they get lost in the realm of air travel.

As this is such a common incident, the airline staff do not share the same sense of urgency as you do when you report your missing luggage. Airline staff will also not commit to the expected arrival or whereabouts of your luggage. Reuniting with your luggage can be a tiresome and frustrating experience.
Where is my luggage??
Most budget airlines do not have a proper system to deal with delayed luggage and compensation. Recently, while helping a friend deal with lost luggage compensation , I was appalled to read on their website that the only means of communication was through snail-mail or fax. There was no telephone number or email address and I was to expect a response in “21 days”.

Granted you may have purchased travel insurance that will compensate you monetarily, travel insurance will not compensate you for the inconvenience and emotional stress that you may endure. You should be enjoying every moment of your holiday and not be worrying about your luggage.

Pack light AND optimally – you’ll be amazed at how much you can actually fit into a modest carry-on bag. Last December, I did a 2 week South America trip. I was staying at each city for a few nights before moving on to the next. My itinerary also consisted of domestic flights and train rides. Imagine if my luggage went missing at some point - I would have had a hard time arranging a delivery location with the airline staff as I was constantly on the move!

My trusty carry-on bags
Of course, it is not always feasible to avoid checking in any luggage. Long haul trips usually require a bigger bag that will not fit in the overhead cabin compartment. TSA’s restriction on the amount of liquids allowed in your carry-on bag forces one to check in luggage. My advice: Always hand-carry a change of clothes and essentials. Of course, travel insurance is a must.

Your Travel Beacon,
Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...