Tab Buttons Across The Blog

24 June 2011

Eating around the world Part II

More food from around the world….continued from previous post

An enjoyable part of travelling is that you get to try the different cuisine from around the world. Admittedly, I am rather picky with my food and my palate is not as adventurous as I would like it to be, but I have made it a point to at least taste the different cuisine from different places.

Streetfood in Finland. These small fried herring found at the Market Square in Helsinki, paired with reindeer meat soup, was my lunch on one cold finish afternoon.
What do you eat when you are in Frankfurt? Frankfurters! I must have ate at least 3 frankfurters everyday when I was in Frankfurt.

Freshest catch at 4am at Tsukiji Fish Market in Tokyo! Love it. Awesome.

Another fresh catch.  Succulent lobsters on the island of Maldives. Great food, great location, an experience I definitely want to relive.

How can you not eat Fish and Chips in London?

The original Sacher Torte from Hotel Sacher in Vienna.  Vienna is a really nice place with lots of mouth-watering pastries. This small piece of chocolate cake with apricot under its icing is something everyone should try when they are in Vienna.
 
Polish food at Krakow.

Czech cuisine borrows the tastes of Germany and Hungary's schnitzels, strudels and goulashes, but adds the culture's own unique twists. This plate of Roast chicken with Czech’s cabbage (slight difference from the German’s sauerkraut) was one of my best meals in Prague.

Quesadilla in Mexico. This corn tortilla filled with a savory mixture of cheese and other ingredients, then folded in half and fried is common dish you can find in a typical Mexican’s eatery,


In a Costa Rican meal, one would expect black beans and rice (gallo pinto). This simple, standard dish, often referred to as comida tipica, is the backbone of Costa Rican cuisine.


In Guatemala, many traditional foods are based on Maya cuisine and prominently feature corn, chiles and beans as key ingredients.

I enjoyed Peruvian food a lot.  It was in Peru that I tasted al paca meat, guinea pig meat and chicken hearts. I loved Peruvian cerviche  and its Chicha Morada – a purple drink made with the ears of purple maize. It is no doubt that Lima was declared gastronomic capital of Americas.

These are Coxinha - Brazilian Chicken Croquettes, a common Brazilian street food typically enjoyed for lunch or as a mid-morning or afternoon snack. I was initially quite surprised to find them in Brazil as they reminded me of something you would find in a HongKong DimSum place. They  tasted pretty yummy as well.



Bowls of Pho which our Vietnamese host cooked and delivered to our room every morning. We did not have much of an appetite in the morning but forced ourselves to eat at least half the bowl so as to not hurt her feelings.
Your Travel Beacon,
Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...